Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Highly Erudite and Philosophical Discussion of Gender Differences in Long-Distance Travellers

We're in Moab tonight, and the rest of the trip tomorrow should be a breeze.

Why is it, I wonder, that so many men and women, particularly older women, are able to travel long distances in the same vehicle? Women are delicate creatures, with tiny, sensitive bladders and finicky appetites, and are prone to want to stop and get out of the car at least once every 5 or 6 hours. Men tend to have gallon-capacity sized bladders and iron control, and while they normally have rather hearty appetites, when they are faced with driving more than 500 miles (let alone 1250) just want to drive and drive and drive and drive. Stopping the car, except for gas, takes some major negotiating. Women find that 2 meals, spaced 12 hours apart with just a big bag of trail mix for sustenance in between, will tend to make them a tiny bit cranky; men will just pull their baseball caps down further on their foreheads and hunker over the steering wheel, and every once in a while will shout encouragingly "Isn't this great?!" I'm not in any way implying that this is US, it's simply a question that popped unbidden into my head about 17 times today. Besides, it can't be Us -- I make a very good trail mix.

3 comments:

AnoelleB said...

Holy crow, Mom, you're so funny! You should have been blogging much, much earlier than this.

This comment would be longer, but my tiny delicate bladder protests!

Woody said...

Okay, look, I travel with THREE (count 'em!) females, and I have no frame of reference where pulling down one's baseball cap and shouting obtuse aphorisms is concerned.

Plus my own bladder is no longer any great shakes.

Chrystalee said...

It's like you never left!!! I love your blog... you crack me up!!! Get there safe. Lots of love.