As it turns out, my last post was my last day online for more than a week. The technicians just left a little over an hour ago, but now we have a landline, TV hookup, and wireless internet service. I can't even remember all that happened this last week, but I can say that we were treated beautifully by Bob's brother-and-sister-in-law and were in such beautiful surroundings that it was hard to leave, except that we were so excited to finally get a look at our new apartment and discover to our delight that it was perfect for us. It should only take one or two more shopping trips to get what we need to set up housekeeping comfortably. We're very happy with our apartment, and Bob got me a scooter for the walk between here and the buildings we'll be working in, and that will be a huge help. I wish I could have used it for the unpacking and putting away, because right now the only parts of me that don't hurt are my head, shoulders, and arms.
We had a lovely experience meeting with the housing coordinator when we signed our lease, and know that we're going to love all the folks we work with in this mission. We officially start tomorrow at a luncheon and orientation, and then training begins in earnest Monday. I don't think we'll ever achieve the status of "highly trained staff" that they brag about in their leaflets, but we'll certainly know a lot more than we do now!
I'll be posting some pictures as soon as I can coordinate with Bob. The house where we were staying was up on Ensign Peak, behind the Capital building, and they had a spectacular view from their kitchen window and front porch. Bob got some wonderful pictures and I'd like to share them with everyone. This last week was like a dream vacation, as Bob's relatives had both a Mason & Hamblin grand piano in their living room, but a full Allen organ as well. I was in heaven and tried to get in all the playing I could before the long drought begins.
AND -- we got to sing in a ward choir last Sunday that was directed by Vanja Watkins, who, as anyone involved in church music knows, is terrific. She's sweet as a peach and isn't a bit weird, like some composers I know.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment