I've learned that the body is more adaptable than I thought, and on the other hand, I've learned that the expectation here is that it takes about a month to become acclimated. So we're adapting to being always short of sleep and always tired, but the training has been so much fun and the people so wonderful that we're still going fairly strong.
I say "fairly" because we got up at 4:45 this morning so we could go and practice with the big Elijah Choir, and I must say that it was worth the extremely daunting journey over there. It was daunting because we're suddenly in a cold snap and it rained this morning, so it was only in the high 40's or very low 50's when we left, and then all the doors to the hotel were locked (we don't have our security badges yet). But we saw someone go in the west door, so we went back around there and Bob hauled my scooter up 6 stairs, only to discover that door was locked as well. Fortunately one of the presidency came along at that time and let us in, so we did get to the rehearsal on time, but just barely, and we were frozen through. I'm happy to say that it was well worth it -- the conductors are wonderful and the music very nice. We'll be very happy there.
And I've learned that you run into people you know everywhere you turn here in SLC. At rehearsal this mornng I ran into a fellow alto from the Southern California Mormon Choir, serving on the same floor where we're being trained. We are invited to dinner Sunday by a fellow missionary whom I used to visit teach in Texas who is also in the choir, and we're looking forward to that. The day before that (Saturday) we're invited to a barbecue by a cousin-by-first-marriage, whom I dearly love, and I'm looking forward to that. And I've learned that even with all this exercise, we've been eating so well here that we are going to have to start being a lot more careful or we won't have anything to wear.
And I've learned that I sure do love my family and friends, and would love to hear from them! Thank you, Debby, for calling so often! We love this work and are excited about being part of it.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your blogs are so fun! i imagine you'll continue running into people that you know, just because of the location of the mission. How fun is that? Deb :)
Post a Comment