I'm still a little emotional as I write this, so I may not be too coherent. I used to wonder why this church, the one church actually presided over and directed by our Savior, has had such a lack of music worthy of its Eternal nature. There have, of course, been many very talented and capable members who have contributed enormously to our literature, but we have never had one with truly global stature, who whose works are going to be part of classical choral literature for many years to come. We have one now, Mack Wilberg, an awesome individual indeed. I have always loved his hymn arrangements, both LDS and early American, but I never realized the depth of the man until I heard a recording of his Requiem, and went straight to heaven.
We were unable to attend the broadcast this morning because Bob is fighting off a cold and hadn't had a comfortable or restful night. So to compensate I put on my headphones and put in a new CD we bought yesterday, the aforementioned Requiem, and was rewarded beyond words to express. If you don't have a good, even great, sound system you need to hear it on headphones, so it comes straight into your head. It's a personal revelation and speaks so strongly to your spirit that God lives and that he loves us.
The church finally has the composer and the music it deserves. This is a great time to be alive. (Note to Cameron: if B&N doesn't have it, I'll send you one.)
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I will definately check it out!!!! Miss you and now Amy!
Post a Comment