Friday, June 13, 2008

What a difference a week makes!

Okay -- a couple of weeks. I have to confess that I did not like Salt Lake City when we arrived here. In the first place, we were barely into the city limits when a rock kicked up from a truck tire near us and cracked our windshield. Also it was raining and rather cold and I think there was only a day or two where it was what you could call warm. The street in front of our apartment clear down to the south corner is a mess because of the new Church History Library they're building. The sidewalk on our side is torn up as well, from our apartment down to the corner. This necessitates two rather lengthy detours to walk to the Joseph Smith building, where we spend the bulk of our time until our training is over. But on our first walk over there we fell in love with the plaza. It's so gorgeous! And today we walked through Temple Square to get to the FH library and that is even more beautiful. I don't know who the master gardener is around here -- I've never seen anyone actually working -- but the flowers are exquisite and on a beautiful day like today it makes your heart sing.

We were worried about the apartment. It didn't look like much from the outside and I knew that we were going to be on the 3rd floor. But we love it, and it's very convenient. Very roomy and well laid out. And we can practice our instruments here! Also I can testify from cruel experience that the smoke alarms work. The unfortunate thing is that when they go off, they register at the fire station. Very embarrassing. At least I didn't set off the sprinkler system!

I was scared to death of beginning, not being terribly brave or confident either, and the training has been delightful and even fun. I have a lovely trainer, as does Bob, both very patient and knowledgeable women. I'm finally getting a handle on the computer programs the church deals with in family history and one of these days may even be capable enough to do it on my own.

I was afraid that I'd be without music for the whole time we're here, but I've played piano for the pre-class devotional a couple of times, will probably be playing for Relief Society, and we've been singing with both the big Elijah Choir and the men's and women's choruses. I'll be playing flute on one of the numbers for the women's choir. The directors are fabulous musicians and arrangers and marvellous choir directors and teachers. I hate to see them leave. I'll get plenty of music on this mission.

I thought I'd be among strangers, but I've already run into 2 women I knew before, one from California and one from Texas, and today in choir I sat next to a woman who recognized me from the Dallas Temple. One couple here was in a ward with some other friends of ours, so we have mutual acquaintances and we feel like friends already.

We thought there was no place to eat close to the JS building and instead there are so many choices for lunch that we have trouble making up our mind. Right across the street is not only the Deseret Book Store, but a food court as well -- with a Schlotzky's, one of our favorite places. We're trying not to get too big for our britches, but I dunno . . .

I'm beginning to love Salt Lake City.

No comments: