Sunday, August 10, 2008

After the Niagara dump, gentle rain and sunshine

It's been a lovely day. I love conducting this choir (the Ensign 3rd Branch Choir). We sang today after only 2 short rehearsals, along with a wonderful flutist from the area, and I was deeply satisfied. I checked with Bob to see if he was feeling the same things I was, because he also has a new assignment in which he can use the talents and skills he's been developing for years. I feel as though I'm just unfurling, or opening like a blossom, to warm rain and sunshine and comfort. We're both doing things we love. Not that we didn't love working in the library, but we were always just on the verge of our comfort zones, and trying mightily to remember everything we learned in training that would be helpful to a patron's particular problem. Now in this last week Bob has taken many pictures; group shots, mug shots, portrait shots, and scenery, and has been on PhotoShop a great deal of the time. I have finally gotten a regular assignment to practice on and play the beautiful organ in the chapel, have gotten a calling to conduct the branch choir. I quite often have time to work on my arrangements in the quiet spots at work, and a member of the mission presidency this week asked me to look at an original poem that meant a great deal to him with an eye toward composing music to go with it. And in addition I've always loved clerical-type work, and have lots of those kinds of jobs to do during the day. We love the couple who are training us and will hate to see them leave. Hope nobody slips us any Miracle-Gro in our lemonade -- we'll start fizzing like firecrackers.

No comments: