Sunday, September 14, 2008

Addendum to the addendum

I see that I never did post about my recordings. I guess I was thinking about my journal. Suffice it to say that I thought I had lost my recordings forever, including the one of Cameron singing "So Many Voices," and I was a little bummed about it. Okay . . . a LOT bummed. But now I am NOT bummed, and besides my husband just handed me a dish of ice cream. Life is good.

4 comments:

Woody said...

Hey, thought this might be quicker than an email: We just got our packets for Chorale this season. First thing I spotted was an arrangement of "Witness" ("Who'll be a witness for my Lord?") arranged by none other than Jack Halloran!

I had to chuckle. The octavo was published in 1987, which means the VCMC performed it with Jack a full 10 years or so before that. I seem to recall rehearsing it with Jack's chicken-scratch score in front of me.

Ah, the good ol' days!

Much love!

Anonymous said...

Do you remember Jack tearing his hair out because the group was so "square?" He worked hard so we wouldn't Mickey-Mouse it up. It was a really fun arrangement. I hope they published it intact (publishers love to mess around with stuff, the rats). I find I have to post this anonymously because google always refuses to recognize my password. That's why I rarely leave comments on you guyses blogs, even though I read them faithfully! Ma

Woody said...

Oh, it gets better. I do remember Jack having trouble with that (I'll relate that story to JoLane Wednesday). In fact, the editors put the verb "swing" over the middle section, which means taking a fairly useless dotted-eighth/sixteenth rhythm and making it hipper. In the Chorale we are, forgive me, a bunch of Republicans in black suits. Swing ain't our thing.

It's still a fabulous arrangement.

Anonymous said...

Har. It's a Marmon failing. . . (not the republican thing, but the swing thing). I used to drive your dad batty until I finally "got it."