We had the pleasure today of running smack dab into the Copelands in the library today. "Pleasure" may be an understatement, as they were the folks who were kind enough to meet with us one evening and share their mission experiences with us, and get us in touch with the recuiter for the mission. We are so grateful for their encouragement. We see Sister Finlayson (also from Frisco 5th) nearly every day and she has invited us over for supper Sunday after church. The Copelands are nicely settled in Salt Lake and very anxious to get back to work in the library. I hope they wind up in U.S./Canada, but with all their experience they may become trainers. There is such a need for missionaries here in just about every zone.
And -- a propos of completely nothing at all -- I've been rather fascinated by the professional panhandlers here in Temple Square. I don't use the word "professional" lightly -- they have handlers/managers and make pretty good money from the tourists. The missionaries are all counseled to ignore them, as there is plenty of help available for them in the area; in fact I believe there is a special bishop called to take care of the needs of the indigent. But they aren't interested in that kind of help when they can make so much money off the tourists. We have the same 3 or 4 every single day, and I'm beginning to recognize them. It was very hard to ignore them at first but now that I know they have managers and nice houses, and one even has a boat or some such luxury, I'm finding it a lot easier. I guess they look on it as a career, just like banking or plumbing or something. Fascinating.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment