It's been an interesting week. We're adjusting to the late shift pretty well, but it's helped that we've been given the week off as far as early morning choir practice is concerned. We had 2 weeks in a row of 4 early rehearsals per week in preparation for the big Pioneer Day concert at the Devotional Monday morning. As it was the Walkers' last performance and everyone was bummed about that they gave us time off for good behavior. Monday we start in again, 3 days a week getting up at 4:45 a.m., but now we can come back home and take a nap before work. For those of you who happen to be my family, no, they didn't ask me to conduct a rehearsal -- everything was geared toward the big event on Monday. Easy come, easy go, I say. Instead I will be playing a piano solo in sacrament meeting this Sunday. With no piano to practice on and very little in the way of music. It should be a real wow. I don't think.
As far as working in the library, we're holding our own and learning a lot. I've found a few more names -- none in my direct line but some corollary lines, which was just as exciting. I've learned some nifty new web sites. It's amazing what's out there.
Our 3rd anniversary was spent working the late shift, so we just had lunch at J.B.'s and said "Happy Anniversary," and that was about it. We spent Pioneer Day in much the same quiet way and dared to eat breakfast at home instead of on a church lawn somewhere, and instead of walking down to South Temple to watch the parade turned on the TV. Then we went to the library and only worked a 4 hour shift (the library closed early today) but eschewed the fireworks tonight. So I guess we aren't really converted to Utah-ism yet. We really enjoy it when we get to relax at home. "This is the Place" for us. I will say, however, that being at the library is a very happy experience. Everyone in our zone is either nice or fun, and most of the time both at the same time. It's a great place to be. I can see us serving another mission here, after we've been home a while and taken care of some things. But I'll need a lot of family soak time before I leave again. I really get to missing our kids.
But today was the highlight of the week -- a real bonanza! This on top of listening to 2 hours of an institute class one of my sons is teaching on The Savior of the World: A phone call from a daughter, e-mails from a brother and a daughter, 2 notes with precious photos in them, and an envelope with a letter from another daughter and letters and pictures from grandsons, one of whom wrote "I love you" in "Chinees" letters. Life can hold no more joy than I had today.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment