. . . and we're working the night shift (1 to 9). We have Monday "off" but are working Saturday to compensate. When I say "off," I mean that we don't have to show up at the library unless we just really want to soak ourselves in it. What we get to do instead is get up at 4:45 (on our DAY OFF!) and attend choir practice, and sing for the 7:30 devotional, after which we get to come home and recover, and then trek back at 11:15 for another devotional for the Church Service Missionaries. Then we finally get the rest of Monday off and can get ready for a Branch picnic that evening.
I have to admit it's been fun working the floor this week, and we've actually been of help to more than one patron. There's still a lot I don't know, but I have enough to squeak by, and the Spirit of Elijah is alive and well and very active. One lady today came in with a name and a lot of frustration but found 127 (!) pages of information, and all I said was "what happens if you click on this heading?" I certainly didn't know what I was doing -- someone else was the co-pilot. We were both pretty thrilled, and it made my week. I'm even being helped with my fatigue factor, and even though we turn the lights off by 9:30 at the latest I'm still not getting more than about 4 hours of sleep a night. Maybe working the night shift for a few weeks will solve that particular problem.
We do love it here and we do enjoy what we're doing. But we also love and miss our family a terrific amount and think of you often and pray for you constantly. I'm so grateful that we've been promised blessings for our family members while we're serving here -- we feel deeply for your worries and frustrations but have confidence that everything will come out right. Amy and Matt might even get their furniture before August!! And also -- I don't know if anyone from the ward ever reads this, but I do miss my friends in the ward and particularly the Frisco 4th Ward Choir; an awesome group of people. However, we're making friends here that we truly love and will miss an awful lot when we go back home. But it's amazing who you meet in SLC -- yesterday (and again today) I ran into a lady I knew back in Simi Valley, Sister Bishara from the deaf ward. We hadn't had contact with each other for years and years, but there she is serving a mission in the FHL, I would imagine in the deaf zone. What a delight that was! I have yet to run into an unpleasant person here -- even the tourists are great. It's a lovely place to be.
I'll tell you a little secret and it isn't anything I ever thought I would say: sometimes I miss the babies crying in sacrament meeting. It's lovely that everyone in our branch is old and tired (and quiet) and you do feel the spirit a lot more during sacrament meeting, but on the 4th of July weekend we had a lot of visitors, and someone brought a baby to church, and it cried a little bit. I was delighted, and felt like I was back home. Occasionally we get a baby in the library and wish I could pick it up and cuddle it.
Life is so good!
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We pray for you, too! I'm glad it has been such a great experience for you.
It seems as though 'thoughts are things' around here. Your presence was definitely felt. Glad I found you've arrived before there is too much blog to catch up on. I put you in my 'favorites' file in more ways than one. Will definitely keep track of you and your experiences through this wonderful invention with the very unlikely name of 'blog'. May I extend an official welcome to you both along with my love!
Pat
Post a Comment