Friday, November 7, 2008

What an interesting day!

And what an interesting week, actually. Today may have been the highlight of the week, however, because after lunch we were invited to share an elevator car with none other than Russell M. Nelson, who is a perfectly lovely man. There was another familiar-looking gentleman with him, who was probably a GA, but whose name escapes me, along with their two wives. Of course, we are counselled to leave the GA's alone and not pester them, and I was hesitant to crowd in with my scooter anyway, but they insisted we come in, and he made very nice conversation with us until we got off, and thanked us for bringing our Texas smiles to the mission. We floated up to the 3rd floor.

It's been a week of reunions, of sorts. Two days ago we had lunch with Dick Bybee, an old friend from So Cal, who sang with us in both the Cambridge Singers and the So. Calif. Mormon Choir. He's living in Utah now and works at the COB 2 days a week. That was great! And today the Whites, the couple who trained us and whom we replaced, came up for a little visit and we all had lunch together and that was fun too.

As far as my job goes, I seem to spend as much time on music as on my regular duties, which duties tend to be "clumpy," meaning that I'll have a couple of extremely busy weeks and then a couple of weeks where I have nothing to do, so I spend a lot of time on my laptop. I'm doing so much in the way of transcription, transposing, and arranging that I almost feel as though they should give me the title Asst. Scribe of Music or something similar. It's nice to be useful, and I love doing it. I think it's really neat that after all my qualms about serving a mission, we should be sent to one where we both can use the talents we've been given to build the kingdom. It couldn't have worked out better. I love watching Bob at work -- today he took photos of 37 incoming missionaries as well as a group photo and it's pure enjoyment to watch him work with the people and get them to respond. He gets lovely shots and then makes them look even better afterwards. He'll be missed when he leaves.

We had a really good snowfall about 3 days ago but it's mostly gone now. The cold has stayed on, though, but so far we're handling it well. Bob is going to go to the DMV and pick up a Handicap placard for me so that on days when it is rainy or snowy we can use the garage at work. Doc Hansen gave us the form and it's all filled out and ready to turn in. Wish I could take it to Texas with me!

Life is good, and we're happy!!

No comments: