Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Awe" is a very inadequate word

There are really no adequate words to describe the feeling one gets attending a Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast, or even just a rehearsal. The music is sublime and it covers the complete spectrum from playful to majestic, from tender and soft to overpoweringly loud. The spirit there is intense and we have yet to sit through a session without weeping. I've discovered another gifted arranger besides Mack Wilberg, and that is this morning's organist, Andrew Unsworth. Besides being a bionic organist (he played some exit music this morning that nearly blasted the pipes off the wall and was absolutely stunning), he performed this morning his own arrangement of one of my favorite folk tunes "Down by the Salley Gardens." If you can catch one of the re-broadcasts you'll sure be glad you did. The choir also did a Harry Belafonte number with a small combo (harmonica, guitar, and string bass) which was eventually joined by the orchestra. It was very touching, with the background of photos they shared -- a perfect Father's Day tribute. And the closer! -- the final chorus of Mendelssohn's "Elijah," And Then Shall Your Light Break Forth, with a 90 decibel AMEN at the end. I was six inches off my seat by that time, still weeping from the previous number and feeling absolutely exalted.

I think it must be a small foretaste of what it will be like to be in the presence of the Lord -- feelings of love, of gratitude, of awe at His power and strength, and of humble appreciation for His love.

I wish you all could have been there.

2 comments:

AnoelleB said...

Oh, golly, me too!

Anonymous said...

That sounds sumblime and I wish I could be there, too! Happy Father's Day, Bob! Debby