. . . and picture yourself standing at the bottom of the torrent, trying to get a drink of water. That's what us poor trainees feel like as we finish our third week of training. There is so much information to give us, and it's coming at us so quickly, that we all feel half-drowned and not very knowledgeable. Fatigue is our watchword -- you can usually spot the trainees by their appearance (red eyes, lots of material, a sort of confused expression) -- or maybe that's just the poor Zorneses. In fact, Matt had a very good description of our early morning attitude. We keep plugging along with these two encouraging factors in mind: Our setting apart blessings, and the fact that every single person we've talked to has been through the same thing, with the same feelings. But they all "got it" and a lot of our trainers have been here a relatively short time. I should put in a third factor -- the Elijah Choirs; Men's, Women's and Mixed. It makes getting up at 4:45 a.m. worthwhile (I can't believe I just wrote that), and I mean that. So I know we'll make it, and we hope that by the end of our 4th and last week of training we'll know enough to be turned loose on the poor patrons. I know that a lot of the patrons know much, much more than I ever will, but there are constantly folks coming in who have never been to the Library before, nor have they ever done a lick of genealogy research. My comfort is that perhaps we can learn together, under the gun, as it were. As long as they don't want their lines traced back to Adam before the end of the shift. (That's a joke, I think.)
Does that sound whiney? I don't mean it to! We really are having a wonderful time and are so very glad to be here. It's beautiful here right now, and we have a great group. I'm even learning some of their names -- we've had to introduce ourselves about eleventy-eleven times, before every class and training exercise. We've begun saying "We are still Elder and Sister Zornes, from Dallas," and everyone sympathizes. Also this was a very good waker-upper: I had been feeling rather smug about my first four generations, and then I discovered how much wasn't done, how poorly it was sourced, and how much work there is still to do. I'm really glad I'm learning all this stuff -- it's been very helpful. Now if I could just learn the other 99.75 %!!
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have total faith in you 2! I think that Missionaries, as a general rule, go through something similar to this at the beinning. You'll do great! Just keep breathing at all times! :) Deb
Then comes that magical day when you (quite suddenly, as it happens) get turned loose on the greenies and have to teach them. You'll wonder if you were ever that green. You'll wonder how on earth they could send missionaries out who are so darned UNPREPARED for missionary work.
You'll wonder how on earth you got so darned SMUG in such a short amount of time.
It happens to the best of us.
Just be nice when you answer my obviously ignorant questions in a few months. Smirking, unfortunately, runs deep in this family. ;-)
By the way, we just got informed that our district goes up on the New FamilySearch THIS COMING WEEKEND. FINALLY. I've been champing at the bit to get registered.
Hooray! I actually might be able to help you on NewFamilySearch, thanks to my loving and patient trainer. We did so much on NewFamilySearch the first 2 weeks and it was so helpful! Of course, the work I've been doing on my own at home isn't going nearly as well, but I'm learning from my mistakes, which means that from a strictly volume point of view, I should be learning a lot...
I completely forgot that my wise and wonderful "bonus" parents would be "greenies" when they started out, just like we all did! I SOooo remember feeling just like you expressed! Your brain is expected to be like a a sponge, and just soak up all the amazing things they're trying to teach you to make you useful, and instead it feels like someone keeps squeezing the sponge! So instead of a brainful of useful stuff, all you get is a headache!!
I'll add my assurances to the previous two... the headache WILL go away and probably much sooner than later. And, as you surmised, it will all be VERY worth it! :o) The first time you teach someone or help someone all on your own, your heart will soar!!
The girls pray in every prayer for OUR missionaries. That's gotta help. ;o)
Post a Comment